IAM policy document translation with Arpio
Arpio translates IAM policy documents when replicating resources from your production environment to your recovery environment. The translation rules are outlined here.
Principals expressed in the policy document are translated as follows:
- A principal of type "AWS" that is the ID of your primary environment's AWS account is translated to the ID of your recovery environment's AWS account.
- A principal of type "AWS" that is an ARN is translated according to the ARN Translation Rules below.
Resources expressed in the policy document are translated according to the ARN Translation Rules below.
Conditions expressed in the policy document are translated as follows:
|If matches the primary environment's region, translated to the recovery environment's region|
|aws:sourceaccount||If matches the account ID of the primary environment, translated to the account ID of the recovery environment|
|aws:sourcevpc||Translated to the ID of the corresponding VPC in the recovery environment if one exists. Otherwise, left as is.|
|Translated according to the ARN Translation Rules below.|
|aws:sourceip||If expressed as an IPv6 CIDR, and the address lives in the CIDR block of a VPC being replicated, translated to the corresponding IP address in the replicated VPC|
All other conditions are replicated identically to how they're expressed in the primary environment.
ARN Translation Rules
- An ARN representing a resource being replicated to your recovery environment is translated to the ARN of that resource in your recovery environment.
- An ARN representing a resource that is not being replicated to your recovery environment is translated as follows:
- If the ARN's region matches the region of your primary environment, and the ARN's account ID is your primary environment's account ID or '*', the region is translated to the region of your recovery environment
- If the ARN's account ID matches the account ID of your primary environment, and the ARN's region is your primary environment region or empty, the account ID is translated to the account ID of your recovery environment.